Cashew macaroons or ‘mukroons’ however u call it used to be my childhood favorite. Whenever my dad traveled to Mangalore, I’ll be waiting for him to return back with these yummy goodies.. These airy, nutty, sugary treats are really addictive, you cannot stop eating these. I had a beautiful dream about my dad, he was helping me with gardening only to wake up and realize that he is no more.. So I woke up sobbing today morning and needed a pick me up and decided to bake something simple. This was in my to-do list since long and finally got to make it today.. And I’m glad that I did, it sure whipped up a lot of childhood memories..
These cashew macaroons are very easy to make with minimal ingredients. I love how I got it right at the first attempt and the taste was 99.99% similar to the authentic one. Oh btw, I have never tasted a macaroon from Thoothukudi, to be honest, I din’t even know these existed in Tamil Nadu too. But, my husband said it tasted ditto like the Thoothukudi ones except that the shape will be of cone.. Oh well!!
- Egg whites- from 2 eggs(room temperature)
- Powdered Sugar- 100 grams
- Cashew- 120 grams (coarsely chopped)
- Cardamom powder- 1/3 tsp
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Add the egg whites in a bowl and beat it with hand mixer for about 3 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Now add sugar in 2 intervals and whisk again..
- Now add cardamom powder and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks are formed(roughly 8 mins).
- Pre-heat oven to 200F/100C and line your baking sheet with butter paper/aluminium foil.
- Add cashews and fold it gently.
- Scoop out the mixture with a table spoon and let the size of macaroon be generous.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake it for 1 hour and 15 mins..
- Cool it completely before serving.
(Visited 329 times, 1 visits today)