Growing up, I used to be such a picky eater and refused to eat vegetables. Give me any fruit, I would eat it without complaining. Even now I’m not a big fan of any vegetable, but I have grown old enough to realize that whether you like it or not, you gotta eat it. I try to make it easy to eat by cooking it in a way which I would like. After lots of experimentation with broccoli, now I have started to like broccoli if it’s made this way. No biggie. Just another tomato-onion gravy with broccoli in it and I loved it. Not just me, my brother who never ever comments on food said that this curry is too good. Here’s how I made it..
Broccoli- 1 head( cut into medium sized florets)
Onion- 1 big(roughly chopped)
Tomato- 2 medium (roughly chopped)
Ginger Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Cashews- a handful
Jeera(cumin)- 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Kasuri methi- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 2 tsp
Salt- to taste
- Boil 4 cups of water. Once it starts boiling add the broccoli florets and turn off the stove and keep it closed for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add jeera to it. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add onions and fry until translucent. Add ginger garlic paste to it and saute for 2 mins.
- Turn off the stove and transfer this content to blender and blend it coarsely.
- Heat the pan and add the onion mixture back to pan and saute it.
- Meanwhile add tomatoes and cashews to the blender and puree it.
- Now add the tomato-cashew puree to the pan and mix well.
- Now bring in all the masala powders and add them to the mixture and mix well.
- Let the mixture thicken and you will see the oil oozing out.
- Now add broccoli to this and mix well.
- The water from the broccoli will be enough to thin out the gravy, if not add some more water.
- Oops I almost forgot salt. You may add salt now and mix well.
- Serve this curry with roti, naan or rice.
Alternatively, you can even stir-fry the broccoli before adding. Tastes better when it’s made few hours before eating since the broccoli would have absorbed the masala. *slurp*
Hope you guys like it, let me know if you try it.
(Visited 243 times, 1 visits today)