Growing up, I hated greens and vegetables. I vividly remember making faces at my mom whenever she force fed us. Little did I know the health benefits then, all I knew was spinach was Mr.Popeye’s favorite. Now, greens are a must for me not that I like it but I feel good when I eat it. I usually add it to my daily smoothies or else in curries like palak paneer, spinach dal tadka or a simple stir-fry like this one. This time I was surprised to find moringa leaves/ drumstick leaves/Murunga keerai in our Indian grocery story and grabbed it without second thoughts. My mom usually makes sambar or kootu, I wanted to just stir-fry it along with some moong dal.
Moringa leaves- 1 bunch( remove the leaves from the stem, wash and roughly chop it)
Moong dal- 1/3 cup
Coconut- 1/4 cup(grated)
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Onion- 1 small(finely chopped)
Mustard Seeds- 2 tsp
Oil- 2 tsp
Split Urad dal- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Red chili- 2
Salt to taste
- Add moong dal, 1 cup water and turmeric to a pan and cook until soft(not mushy).
- Drain the moong dal and keep the water aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. As mustard seeds splutter add urad dal and red chilis.
- Now add onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add moringa leaves and some water.(I add the previously saved dal water)
- Once the leaves are cooked completely, add cooked dal and garam masala.
- Add salt and mix well until well combined.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
I loved it(if I can say so myself) with some hot rice and sambar. Hope you like it too.
(Visited 209 times, 1 visits today)