I can’t believe I’m saying this but we are kinda getting bored of baking banana bread. It used to be our favorite but I think I need to give it a break. Enter dates-nut muffins. I have always been finding ways to make cake/muffins healthier and pushed myself to bake these muffins with oats this time. I have used 3/4th cup rolled oats and 1/4 cup ragi flour, you can use just oats or oats with all purpose flour or just all purpose flour. I have used one egg, feel free to sub it with flax egg. Here’s how I made it with some help from my sous chef Sammy. 🙂
1. Oats+ragi flour or kanji maavu- 3/4 cup +1/4 cup
2. Dates- 10 (pitted and roughly chopped)
3. Egg- 1
4. Butter- 1/2 stick
5. Brown sugar/coconut sugar/jaggery- 3/4 to 1 cup
6. Water- 1 cup
7. Baking powder- 1 tsp
8. Baking soda- a pinch
9. Vanilla extract- 1/4 tsp
10. Walnuts- 1/4 cup chopped into small pieces
Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In a small pan, add water and dates and let it cook over low heat until the water is almost absorbed.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar together until it is creamy. Add in egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a blender, add in cooked dates with any water that is left, oats, ragi flour and blend well.
- Add this smooth batter from the blender to butter-sugar mixture, add in baking powder, baking soda and walnuts and mix well.
- Scoop the batter into muffin molds and bake in middle rack for 20 minutes. Cool it and enjoy.
- We got about 7 muffins with this recipe.
(Visited 95 times, 1 visits today)